Crossroads School for Arts and Sciences is a K-12 independent school with approximately 1,200 students, 400 to 500 employees and 2 campuses in Santa Monica, CA. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and generous paid time off for full-time employees. All job applications, resumes and cover letters must be completed through our online application system.
Our school is a place where the members of our diverse student body are encouraged to think critically, express themselves openly and respectfully and make a positive impact in the lives of others and in the world around them.
Under the guidance of the Controller, this role serves as second-in-command for Business Office Accounting staff, with supervisory responsibilities both within the accounting and payroll areas. This role has both strategic as well as tactical responsibilities thus suiting an accounting professional who thrives in a varied and fast paced environment. The Assistant Controller will be managing the school’s monthly general ledger review and closing process and will be responsible for collecting, analyzing and preparing financial reports for the Controller that will be presented to the Head of School and Board of Trustees.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee, review and maintain the monthly general ledger.
- Review and approve journal entries prepared by accounting staff.
- Supervise the by-weekly payroll process at an expert level, managing and preparing the payroll in the absence of the payroll specialist.
- Maintain relationships with the outsourced payroll provider.
- Monitor departmental budgets.
- Assist Controller with preparing Quarterly Financial Statements.
- Assist Controller with preparing information needed for auditors.
- Prepare statistical reports and analytical information as needed.
- Assist Controller with the Annual Budget preparation, including preparing the Master Budget spreadsheet with provided data.
- Provide support in such areas as construction and project accounting, investment tracking and special assignments.
- Provide management support for accounting staff.
- Provide customer service assistance for a variety of school personnel
Required Qualifications: (Skills, experience, education/certification, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting. (Master’s a plus)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Accounting or Finance, preferably in a not-for-profit or independent school setting.
- Supervisory experience and skill, particularly in developing employees, and ability to handle confidential situations effectively.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of non-profit accounting principles.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing and processing payroll. Paycom experience a plus.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills; clear writing is essential.
- Ability to effectively plan and accomplish goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, balancing multiple projects and priorities.
- Attention to detail and effective follow-through.
- Be flexible, collaborative, and able to work effectively in a team-driven environment, modeling a customer service outlook.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel & Word required.
- Strong experience in Blackbaud Financial Edge or ability to gain proficiency.
- Ability to pass a thorough background and live scan check.
- COVID vaccination will be required for this position unless candidate has a legally valid exemption
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit while operating computer equipment for up to 8 hours daily, with repetitive motion for typing and other keystroke processes.
- Based on current country and CDC guidelines a mask must be worn at all times
Please submit your resume and cover letter for consideration to this position. Click here to apply: Apply
One of Crossroads School’s founding commitments is to developing a socially, economically and racially diverse student body. We are equally committed to a supporting a vibrant and diverse workforce. Crossroads is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age or sexual orientation. People of color, women and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.